I'm From Mugwort Mask Review, Is Mugwort The New IT Ingredient?

Saturday, January 19, 2019
2018 was definitely the year of Cica (Centella Asiatica, see my highlight review on Rovectin's Cica Care Sleeping Pack). However, during the later part of the year, we have seen an unlikely contender ready to launch and reign over 2019. That ingredient is no other than Mugwort. So what is Mugwort and why is it suddenly popping out in our beauty products ingredients lists? I've been sent I'm From's Mugwort Mask from Wishtrend, proceed below to know more about Mugwort and a review of this trending product.

I'm From Mugwort Mask
I'm From Mugwort Mask - 30ml Sample Size

What is Mugwort?

Mugwort is a plant that is native to Asia, North America and Northern Europe but is also found globally. It is an herb in the daisy family (artemesia) which can grow up to 6ft tall during the summer season. It is commonly used for medicinal purposes, insect repellent and even as a food ingredient. For more information, read about it in WebMD

As an herb that grows naturally in Korea, Mugwort (also called 'tea tree' in Korea) has been widely known for treatments and detoxing effect. This is effective for treating acne, troubled, irritated skin and also well regarded for its soothing and cleansing properties.

Mugwort Skin Benefits: 

  • Antibacterial
  • Antifungal
  • Anesthetic
  • Skin Calming
  • Prevents/Stops rashes, itching and irritation
  • Anti-inflammatory
Note: Mugwort can cause allergic reactions leading to sneezing and sinus-related symptoms, and can cause contact dermatitis and/or rashes in some people. People allergic to peaches, apples, celery, carrots, sunflower and other plants should avoid it. 

About the Product

The I'm From Mugwort Mask is a wash off mask to calm and soothe the skin. Containing 2.1% of mugwort, full of vitamins and minerals, it quickly soothes irritation and redness while having a cooling and calming effect. The mild gel formulation contains mugwort powder to regulate the heat of the skin as soon as it touches the skin. Apply a thick layer of the mask on areas with acne or inflammation. Find instant calming and healing of these skin troubles.

I'm From, although relatively new in the skincare industry, is a brand that is already making waves by putting a spotlight on natural skincare ingredients. Their brand promises that (1) There will be transparency with the ingredient that they use; (2) They will only use honest materials and processes; (3) They will not use any harmful additives. The brand is also proudly cruelty-free and completely transparent about the source and origin of their materials (including the farm where their primary ingredients are harvested), hence the name, I’m From.

I'm From Mugwort Mask
I'm From Mugwort Mask

The Mugwort used for their Mugwort Mask is said to be from Ganghwa, Korea, a marine climate. Since it is surrounded by the ocean, the air is not dry and this type of climate is optimal for growing mugwort, thus, improving the quality of the herb. They harvest during May, when the plants have peek vitality and energy and then ages it for 3 years in a traditional manner.

Ingredients:

Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Artemisia Princeps Leaf Powder (2.1%), 1,2-Hexanediol, Cordyceps Sinensis Extract, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Methylpropanediol, Ligularia Fishceri Leaf Extract, Rosa Davurica Bud Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Carbomer, Arginine, Phenoxyethanol, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Panthenol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA. 

Learn more about the ingredients here: SkinCarisma

How to Use:

Apply a thick layer of Mugwort Mask after cleansing and spread evenly. Rest for 5-10mins and rinse gently with water. 

Price/Where to Buy:

$35 dollars at Wishtrend (currently on sale, 25% off) / Approximately 1800 PHP

My Experience

Packaging

The I'm From Mugwort Mask I received was in its 30ml sample size tube packaging which is really cute and travel friendly. It does remind me of Harry Potter since it kind of looks like something that would blend in the Wizarding World, don't you think? 

The original packaging is in a 110g glass jar which looks sturdy and elegant just like all other I'm From masks. The full size also comes with its own spatula for hygienic purposes. The box that comes with it has mugwort leaves embossed in it which is a nice touch. The actual coordinates and other necessary information are also shown in the box.

I'm From Mugwort Mask
I'm From Mugwort Mask - Original Size (Photo from Wishtrend.com)

Scent

Description of the scent really varies. Some describe it as smelling like something herbal, some say it smells like dirt or the smell of grass when it rains, but I say it smells like toothpaste. I'm pretty weird in my scent descriptions though. Haha! My friend mentioned that it smells like spearmint. I find it very relaxing.

Texture

The mask is a thick brownish gel with suspended finely grounded mugwort leaves bits and pieces. Kinda like jam with strawberry bits. This is truly something you don't see quite often in wash off masks. I like that you can truly feel connected with the natural ingredients in the product because you can legitimately see and feel it. 

Application

Letting the incredible texture of the I'm From Mugwort Mask touch my face was exciting. It spreads easily when applied using my fingers. A thin layer is enough but you can add more product if you wish. It is advisable to put a thicker layer on your problem areas. Upon application, a strong cooling sensation is recognizable. This was a nice relaxing feeling and lasted up until the recommended 10 minute masking time is over. There was an instant relief and soothing effect on my breakouts as well. It also reduced redness and calmed my pimples. 

Take note that this product is intended to "sit" on the skin and not be "rubbed". Your skin might be irritated with the rubbing action, especially since there are bits of mugwort that are irregular in shape and size. 

I'm From Mugwort Mask
I'm From Mugwort Mask Texture

Results

I recently had a terrible breakout. Due to this breakout, I toned down my skincare routine as a skin reset and went back to the basics: aloe vera gel, salicylic acid cleanser, a simple toner. To turn my skincare game up a notch, I have been applying a thin layer of the I'm From Mugwort Mask on ground zero every night and I believe that this has made all the difference. I initially planned on doing this for 7 days straight to see the effects but I didn’t find the need to. It turned out to be super effective, my skin loves it! I noticed that my breakouts were starting to calm down on as early as Day 2. Pimples were completely dead on Day 5. The results were simply amazing. I will now always reach out for this every time I see evil pimples looming over my face.

My Thoughts

PROS:

  • Scent is very relaxing.
  • Free spatula!
  • Interesting texture with bits and pieces of Mugwort leaves; you can really feel the natural-ness of this product because of this.
  • Cooling and refreshing upon application.
  • Soothes redness and calms breakouts.
  • Gentle enough to be used daily.
  • Significantly reduced and calmed my breakouts in as early as 2 days.
  • Easy to wash-off.
  • Spreads smoothly.

CONS:

  • Scent (might be disturbing to some people but jot for me!)
  • Texture (might be disturbing to some people but not for me!)
  • Not designed to be massaged onto face. Some people do prefer to massage their mask for added relaxation during pamper time.
  • A bit steep on the price range.
  • Can be a bit messy to wash-off.

Final Thoughts

I'm From Mugwort Mask
I'm From Mugwort Mask

I actually did not love the I'm From Mugwort Mask at first use, probably because I didn’t have any inflammation then. But I used it again when I did and it definitely made a huge amount of difference. It calmed my skin and significantly reduced redness. It also contributed much in helping my pimples die down. I love the cooling and soothing effects this mask has. The scent is also very relaxing, so it does not only calm my skin, it calms my senses too. But if you want a mask that you can massage onto your face, try I’m From’s Ginseng or Honey Mask instead because this one is not what you are looking for.

Also, it is important to note that I’m From is a brand that I didn’t know much about when I received this product. But since then, I have grown a deep appreciation for the brand itself, as well as its products. I want to try sooooo much stuff from their mask collection (hi Vitamin Tree and Volcanic Mask!❤️). 

Also, to answer my previous question, yes, I think that Mugwort is definitely the ingredient to watch this 2019. I can't wait to see where it takes us this year. 

Have you tried any masks from I'm From? Let me know in the comments section!


Note: Product was provided by Wishtrend. All thoughts are my own. Your product experience might be completely different from mine. 



Post a Comment

Veronica Decides to Blog