False Alarms

by - Friday, November 22, 2013

The Philippines had been put through a lot lately. It was truly sad to see some of our fellow Filipinos go through such a terrible disaster. I lament everytime I catch a glimpse of the news. The rest of the Philippines is doing everything to help. Not only us though, the rest of the world, and even celebrities are taking it on their selves to take part. With this, I would like to extend great thanks and appreciation to everybody. The Filipinos are really grateful.

A week after the disaster, our city had a Tsunami Scare. In the wee hours of the morning, news started to spread that a tsunami was about to strike Sarangani Bay. It was said that the bay dramatically receded. This is one of the signs of an approaching tsunami. People who were living near the sea were already panicking and some even evacuated, my cousins included. It was good to know that people are now taking precautionary measures. Maybe this was partially due to recent disasters that struck the country. The horror is fresh and people are still scared.

I woke up early that day to finish a project I was working on. I was fully aware of the news because my cousins decided to stay at our home. It was considerably far from the sea. My mother urged us to pack our bags, just in case. My mind was very cloudy and I was confused with what I truly considered important enough to pack.

My bag contained the basics: clothes, underwear, my savings and identification cards. But that ends there. I mostly packed things that would be useless if ever the tsunami truly struck.

These are the things I brought in my bag:

  • Clothes - I brought mostly shirts, one pants (the newest one), one pair of shorts, and my favorite dress. I need to be clothed you know. 
  • Underwear - I don't need to discuss the importance of these. Haha
  • Savings - It didn't have that much in it but I just had to bring it. 
  • ID - I wouldn't get into school if I lost it. Yeah, that was the thing that I had on my mind. Like school would be important during a natural disaster. 
  • Books - I had to bring my Structural Analysis book and some reviewers. I guess these were really important to me. I just found out. 
  • The Beatles Playing Cards - It's a limited edition okay? I had to fit it somewhere. 
  • An old baby picture - My thoughts were "I need to bring this to show to my future kids.." .
  • My first love letter - It is still very special to me. 
  • Ipod - I truly treasure my ipod. It contains music I love and have collected through the years. It represents my growth as a person.
  • Notebook -This is my one and only school notebook. It contains all my notes and problems that were solved during classes. It would help me a lot during my review days.
I totally realize how I won't really survive an emergency situation if I only brought these things. But during a panic state, these were all I could think of. 

I called all my friends, none were picking up. I felt sad that none of them would be prepared if the tsunami did hit. 

Luckily, the tsunami never came. News about the water level coming back to normal flushed through facebook. We found relief. 

Along with these news, people who weren't awake during those panic hours I've been a part of, were parading all over facebook, mad, that people should first make sure of everything before passing information because false alarms are bothersome. They said that people who passed it on were stupid for not being able to identify a 'low tide'. I got somewhat irritated, because I was one of the people who passed information. So if they were awake during those moments, wouldn't they want their friends to know about the tsunami warning too? Oh and excuse me, an extreme low tide is in fact a sign of an impending tsunami. We're just lucky and so blessed that it didn't happen. If ever, the Philippines would have additional problems. 

You May Also Like

15 (mga) komento

  1. It's really hassle to experience false alarm. But, it's always good to be prepared always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, false alarms. Forever a hassle~ But it's great to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend everyone to be prepared too.

      Delete
  3. You've prepared some unique items in your bag. You gave me idea that memorable things like first love letter and old baby picture are also worth to be included.
    Glad to know that tsunami didn't happened -it's another huge disaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They were the things that just popped out of my mind when I got forced to pack.

      Delete
  4. Greetings and good morning, please visit my blog, or to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.PuzzleBarbie
    and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.KumpulanDongeng. a collection of stories and puzzles, nice to educate and hone the intelligence of children, perhaps you possessed sister, young niece, or perhaps a child, please try the FREE, hopefully useful and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh..i heard that too..glad you are okay now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Did it reach national news?

      Delete
  6. Too glad that you're okay and the tsunami didn't happen, although I don't have the experience but I can feel the horror and how disastrous it will be. Those things you brought in your bag are not typical ahaha. But I got it that they are your precious stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything can happen now,at a time when the world is in tribulation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should watch the TV more often now, I didn't even know there's a scare O.O!

    Anyway, I'm giving away a domain :) please join my giveaway!
    http://www.ohpenda.com/2013/11/Giveaway2013.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch the news too. Haha.

      Delete
  9. This is so scary, hopefully there wasn't any Tsunami! But what exactly was the "disaster" you're talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Typhoon that hit the Philippines awhile back. It was terrible.

      Delete